ad•ven•ture: n. A challenging journey that pushes us beyond ourselves in a positive direction and allows us to engage the world directly, defy personal limitations, expand our understanding, and inspire others.
The mission of impossible2Possible(i2P) is to encourage youth to reach beyond their perceived limits, and to use adventure as a medium to educate, inspire and empower young people all over the world. Our Experiential Learning Programs and expeditions deliver the world to the classroom and the classroom to the world!
The vision of impossible2Possible (i2P) is to break the boundaries that bind modern education by using mind blowing adventures as the platform for true interactive learning. All i2P expeditions are created as fully interactive web based experiential learning programs utilizing live satellite communications, daily videos, written blogs, and photo journals to deliver peer to peer learning from the most remote regions of the planet.
All expedition expenses are covered for Youth Ambassadors and all i2P Experiential Learning Programs are delivered free of charge to schools and students around the world.
In 2007, Adventurer and i2P founder, Ray Zahab and and two other runners made history by running 4300 miles across the entire Sahara Desert, and in the process also raised awareness for clean-water initiatives in Africa. The expedition consisted of 111 consecutive 40 mile days of running in extreme desert conditions through six countries- from the Atlantic Ocean to the Red Sea. Ray along with good friends and fellow runners Kevin Lin of Taiwan and Charlie Engle of the U.S. would start this epic journey in November 2006. The run was documented in the film Running the Sahara which was directed by Academy Award winner James Moll and produced and narrated by Matt Damon.
As the runners made their way across the Sahara, they learned about a place, and a culture in a way that only this 111 day running journey could teach them. They also learned of the water crisis in North Africa, and its effects on the Tuareg people of the Sahara.
After arriving at the Red Sea, Ray realized what a tremendous personal experience this adventure had been. The realization that we are all capable of the extraordinary in our lives was clear. Also, the way in which an adventure can be such meaningful and interactive learning experience- with the ability to teach us on a multitude of subjects through observation and participation.
The lessons of the Sahara run inspired Ray to found impossible2Possible (i2P), an organization dedicated to using adventure to educate, inspire, and empower young people. i2P brings together a dedicated group of volunteers dedicated to delivering a truly 21st century learning experience.
What We Do
The i2P World Expedition Series goes to the farthest reaches of the planet to deliver unique and engaging learning programs Free of charge to Youth and schools around the world.
- World Expedition Series announcement.
- Youth Ambassadors between the ages of 16-21 are selected from a group of applicants who complete an online essay application. There is no charge to participate in any i2P program. 100% free.
- i2P Youth Ambassador team completes a 13-16 week physical training and orientation program designed to prepare them for the upcoming educational program and international running expedition
- Once on expedition (typically 14 days), Youth Ambassadors team up with the i2P Education Team to deliver a comprehensive learning program on a multitude of subjects to classrooms all over the world. Each expedition has a unique subject of study, with the running adventure being the thread that ties Youth Ambassadors to classrooms. For example, in Utah, our i2P Youth Ambassadors ran across the Grand Staircase Escalante, studying "the Rise and fall of the Dinosaurs" with world leading paleontologists.
- i2P Youth Ambassadors return home as Alumni, and stay involved with impossible2Possible, speaking at schools and empowering youth with their experiences.
- Are challenging: physically & emotionally
- Push the limits of what seems possible to the adventurer
- Provide young people with a two way street of communication through a live website
- Young people are active team members whether through web communication and learning or active participation in an adventure
- Include a service component relevant to the adventure setting
- Challenge and improve the adventurer's knowledge, understanding, and ability
- Increase awareness of the environment's impact on humans, and humans' impact on the environment
- Expand the adventurer's personal definition of what is possible
- Involve risk (not to be confused with danger) including a risk of failure
- Require extensive intellectual, physical, and logistical preparation
- Require assistance from others
- Push the adventurer beyond herself physically, geographically, socially, culturally
* i2P elite expeditions are funded in whole by our founders and our generous corporate sponsors.
What We Are
impossible2Possible is a US 501c3 charitable organization (Canadian charitable in process) dedicated to educating, inspiring, and empowering youth to reach beyond their perceived limits, and to use adventure as a medium to educate, inspire and empower youth all over the world. i2P aims to equip today's young people with the understanding and belief that they have the ability to achieve the extraordinary in their lives, and positively impact the lives of others. We envision a world of achievers that believe in their hearts that nothing is out of the realm of possibility!
* Registered: US 501(c)(3).